University of Copenhagen
Are you interested in working on the intersection of law and “artificial intelligence”? A 19 months full-time Postdoc position is available at the Centre for Information and Innovation Law (CIIR) of the Faculty of Law at the University of Copenhagen. The position is part of the GrandSolutions project “LEGALESE – Danish language Processing for Legal Texts” and financed by the Innovation Fund Denmark
We are seeking an enthusiastic and outstanding post-doctoral candidate with a strong interest on the intersection of law and computer science.
LEGALESE is an exciting joint venture by the University of Copenhagen’s Faculty of Law and Department of Computer Science, KMD, and Ankestyrelsen. The aim of LEGALESE is to research and develop a product that facilitates efficient legal information retrieval and automated recommendation using cutting-edge natural language processing (NLP).
Bias detection and mitigation are essential for the success of such NLP system. The Postdoc will work on the related cutting-edge legal issues with a view to establish the standard for NLP implementations in terms of both privacy and bias in light of existing and upcoming legislation in the field (e.g. GDPR, AI Act etc.) and investigate different methods of bias mitigation. The research will be conducted in ongoing collaboration with the Department of Computer Science.
- Candidates must have obtained a PhD degree in law (or related areas) and a demonstrated interest in relevant areas such as at the digitalization of law or administration, legal informatics, LegalTech, bias in automated decision making, or legal/ethical challenges in relation to automation of legal services and the use of AI.
- Excellent English communication skills, both oral and written, are prerequisite for the successful candidate. Danish or another Scandinavian language is not a requirement but advantageous.
- The successful candidate will have the ambition to produce high quality research and a keen interest in interdisciplinary work bridging research and practice.
- The successful candidate will have a solution-oriented, organizational and positive mindset. The ability to work in a collaborative environment both independently and as part of the team is essential.
Salary and conditions of employment
The expected starting date is 1 November 2022, or as soon as possible thereafter. The full-time fixed-term academic position is available for 19 months.
Salary and conditions of employment will be in accordance with the agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC). The annual salary for postdoctoral researchers is within the range DKK 405.203,16 – 426.625,2 (EUR 54,000 – 57,000 app.). In addition to the salary paid directly to you, the University will also pay a monthly contribution to your pension fund corresponding to 17.1 % of your salary. Negotiation for additional supplements will be possible. A special tax scheme is offered for researchers recruited abroad, see http://ism.ku.dk/onarrival/taxes/.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
The application (in English or a Scandinavian language), must be submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
The application must include:
- Motivation letter
- Research plan (maximum 5 pages; it should describe your research ideas and goals in relation to the LEGALESE project as well your long-term research vision)
- Curriculum vitae
- List of publications
- Copy of diplomas/degree certificate(s) (foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their university's grading system)
- Three references (incl. e-mail and phone number)
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee. You can read about the University’s recruitment process at http://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/.
For further information about the position, please contact Associate Professor Sebastian Felix Schwemer, email@example.com. For further information on the employment procedure, please contact HR, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Foreign applicants may find the following links useful: www.ism.ku.dk (International Staff Mobility).
The deadline for applications is 1 October 2022 CEST 23:59.
Applications received after the deadline has expired will not be accepted.
If your application does not include all the required supporting documents your application can be rejected and not be considered by the assessment committee.
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.
Application due: 10/1/2022
Start date: 11/1/2022
Category: Faculty and academic positions
Workplace: Faculty of Law